Tuesday, January 25, 2011

guilty pleasure...no bacon please.

ok, time to let another secret out...

i love maple bars.
my mother grew up eating them in her hometown in nebraska.. then we grew up eating them at our home town bakery in colorado ... when i visit, i love to go and buy one. i think they are still  45 cents...

so when a friend talked to me the other day (K)... it made me think... i have not had one in awhile and
thought it sounded so good.

so i went to a bakery (to remain nameless) and purchased one. $1.75.
i was sooo excited... all wrapped in white paper and white bag.
i unwrapped it, took one bite and wow... it was terrible... it tasted like grease. i was so sad. i tossed it.

i also saw they had maple bars with bacon. ick.

now i love my sunday morning breakfast with pancakes and crispy bacon ...
so if the vermont maple syrup mixes with the bacon i love it... but eating a classic maple bar with bacon?
i cannot do it... i am a purist... and will go back home to eat a maple bar...

unless, my friends can tell me where oh where is a really fresh, yummie one to be found?


14 comments:

Maria said...

looks delicious :-)

http://design-elements-blog.com/

Unknown said...

those sound delicious- and look it too- never heard of them...

Karen

Sarah said...

um, YUM!
never heard of them, but i hear ya!
(and, yes, the bacon looks disturbing here)

though, i have to tell you- that maple-bacon thing...
once we pour waffle bater in the iron, we lay a few pieces of nice, crispy bacon on top, close it up so the bacon ends up inside the waffle and literally melts in your month. heaven.

I Dream Of said...

Oh, I love maple bars almost as much as pop tarts! Have you tried the ones at Top Pop? Yum. Wish I had one and not my healthy yogurt-healthy is over rated! XO
Jeanne
PS -check out the blog, there's a picture of a long-lost friend!

Unknown said...

I've never tried one, but have to say that picture looks pretty awful.
I'd file this in your taste-bud-memory box and move on!

Anonymous said...

Good job trying it!! They have them at the MP bakery now!

Anonymous said...

Yum. I love maple bars. There's a bakery in Woodland Park, CO that makes great ones! :)
~ Zuzu

Teresa Hatfield ~ Splendid Sass said...

Don't know, but I will take your word for it.
Teresa
xoxo

Nikki said...

If you are ever in the south end...Renton Highlands to be exact. You MUST go to the Chuck's donuts. It's next to a gas station and it used to be super charming but now it's in a strip mall. But that doesn't matter, they still have the BEST maple bars EVER. The topping is a frosting instead of a glaze. Beats Top Pot every time.

Anita said...

For years, you could get the best and biggest maple bars ever at Gast House Bakery in Sumner, WA. But sad to say, it looks like they went out of business last year. They would just melt in your mouth - yummmm...

red ticking said...

sarah... i will try your idea... it sounds delicious..
splendid - i will never go back there.
nikki - i will find chuck's... maybe i can close my store and go now! he he

for the love of a house said...

oh, who are these poor beings who have never had/don't know the delights of a maple bar?!!! poor souls......:)
they are dan's favorite, so I occassionally;) have bites and they are yummy! sounds like you need to head to chucks!
i miss seattle....

joan

bullie_mama said...

Next time you're in DT Portland, go to VooDoo Donuts. They have the BEST maple bacon bar ever!! It is DELICIOUS!! It may look or sound gross, but how can you not love some crunchy bacon on top of a maple frosting smothered donut?
Try it at VooDoo, you won't be disappointed.
And I agree with Nikki, Chucks in Reonton is fantastic!
-Sara.

Unknown said...

Yes. I agree. Yuck. My son and I were sampling chocolates getting "ready- ahem" for our trip to Switzerland. We tasted a chocolate bar with bacon in it. Yuck. I think the maple bar might have been better.